twitter




Monday, October 26, 2009

I want to be an Earth Science teacher in NY but I have a BA in Communication. What should I do?

SO CONFUSED! I want to get my masters for Earth Science education now rather then go back and get a post baccalaureate certification. Is this possible? I%26#039;m pretty far in debt as it is with my undergrad loans, can anyone recommend any good but inexpensive schools in New York State?



So ultimately, the advice that I so desperately need is:



1) Is is possible to get my Masters for Earth Science Education without having to redo undergrad classes?



2) What are suggestions for good and inexpensive grad schools anywhere in New York State with MA or MS programs in Earth Science education?



3) Are there any suggestions for programs that might pay for some or all of the masters program?



4) Any suggestions for an accelerated program that would reduce the amount of years I have to go back to school?



I know its a lot but if there is anyone out there who can answer all these questions...dinner is on me!!



I want to be an Earth Science teacher in NY but I have a BA in Communication. What should I do?

Check with different colleges to see what the requirements are. I have 50+ hours in biological related sciences and yet 1 college tells me I need more than 50 hours more to get a biology certification. Another college is telling me I might need 1 class. You will also probably have to pass the PRAXIS 3 for the subject area.



If you have not already used the loan forgiveness option granted by the federal government, you might check into that. Science is an area with a shortage of teachers and the forgiveness is $17,500. You must agree to teach in a poverty/at risk school.



Check into the local community school to see if you can take some of the undergrad level classes there. I know they don%26#039;t count toward the master%26#039;s but you may find that the expense offsets the benefit of having them apply toward masters. Besides that you will most likely have to take some education/ instruction courses and those can be taken at the grad level.

No comments:

Post a Comment