twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

19 Yrs Old, would like to be more independent, possibly rent?

Well, I%26#039;m turning 19 April 28, I would like to be more independant when I get home from the military. The thing is, my MOS (job in the army) doesn%26#039;t really set me up for any civilian jobs besides security and police, which I refuse to do due to the low pay.



My question is, what could I do (of course work, but should I pursue school, what?) when I get home (2 weeks or so) to set myself up to get to work quickly and earn decent income to rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment? I live in New York City, Queens... I%26#039;m really good with computers (hardware, software, networking, graphics, type fast, ect) and would love to go after something in that field, I just really don%26#039;t know where to begin.



Lol, I just don%26#039;t know, to be honest, I didn%26#039;t even feel like myself typing this. Pretty much what I%26#039;m asking for is advice I guess, I can%26#039;t affoard to go to school, and I%26#039;m scared to death of loans.



19 Yrs Old, would like to be more independent, possibly rent?

The best investment you can make is in an education, sure it may set you back a bit in terms of debt, however you will be on track to be making more money in a career more geared towards your interest.



Computers are a very fickle industry to break into without a degree unless you possess very specialized skills. Luckily computers are also a very board field so you will find there are many 1 year diploma and certificate programs available to get you on track.



As a viable plan, it wouldn%26#039;t hurt to do a couple years in a lower paying job like security while you fine tune your education.



19 Yrs Old, would like to be more independent, possibly rent?

Before you get out of the military, PAY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN INTO YOUR G.I. BILL BENEFITS! Then you%26#039;ll be able to afford to go to school.



Consider joining the Reserves when you get out -- then you%26#039;ll be able to use both your G.I. bill benefits *and* the Reserve tuition assistance program (up to $4500 per year!)



Just make sure you choose a good school. In general, schools that make you pay a huge sum up front for the entire program before they let you start should be a huge warning sign. Reputable schools charge by the course, or by the semester. Never pay for more classes at once than you%26#039;re actually taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment