twitter




Monday, October 26, 2009

Am I screwed?

OK, so I missed the FAFSA deadline for California. My parents have no filled out their tax returns yet and we didn%26#039;t have time. Can I still apply for scholarships?



Also, my parents financial situation is my mom make like aroudn $60-70k and my dad makes around that but less. They are divorced. The problem is, they are in a ton of debt.



Would I still qualify for financial aid somehow? Or maybe a student loan? Or am I just screwed?



PS. I plan on going to community college for two years and transfering over to a four year school. If I got a student loan it would pay for tuition, a laptop, and possibly some other things I would need. I am planing on majoring in graphic design.



Am I screwed?

YOU CAN STILL FILE A FAFSA!



The March 3 deadline is for Cal Grant only. Although it is unfortunate that you missed that deadline for another grant that you might have been entitled to, you can still complete the FAFSA for federal Pell Grant and federal student loans ALL THE WAY THROUGH JUNE 30, 2009!



(FYI: Even if your parent had not filed their 07 return yet, you could still have filed your FAFSA using estimates off of the W2 forms instead, but it%26#039;s too late for that lecture. Keep that in mind for the future!)



As for scholarships, each individual institution has their own scholarship application and application deadline, so check with the school that you plan to attend to inquire about scholarship applications. Hopefully you have not missed that deadline too, but at the college I work for the deadline was also March 3.



As far as your parent situation goes, if they are legally divorced, then you only use the income information for the parent whom you live with. If you live with neither parent, then you would use the parent whom you last lived with, or who currently provides more support to you.



If is impossible to say whether or not you will qualify for federl aid based off the minimal information you provide. The only way to know is to file a FAFSA and let your financial aid office determine your eligibility (PS: debt is not considered on the FAFSA whatsoever).



Lastly, if you are attending a California Community College, be sure to ask that school%26#039;s financial aid office about applying for a Board of Governor%26#039;s Fee Waiver (BOGFW). If you are a California resident and meet certain income requirements (by a separate application or as determined off of the FAFSA), you may qualify to have your registration fees completely waived.



Bottomline: apply ASAP! Don%26#039;t wait any longer.



Am I screwed?

Dont worry, you can qualify for a lot, at last to have your books and tuition paid if nothing else,



You need to talk with a fiancial advisor at your school they can tell you everything.



They will know what is available and what you will qualify for.



No worries.



P

No comments:

Post a Comment